Author Topic: Canadian Immigration Process  (Read 50803 times)

Offline Bob

Canadian Immigration Process
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:40:16 pm »
Hello to all friends and members, I wanted to share my experiences with all of you regarding the Canadian Immigration Process. I hope that some of this information will help some of you, and perhaps answer a few of your questions

Please note that I am in Quebec and some of the Immigration documents and/or information may be slightly different for the other provinces and territories.

I decided to hire Immigration lawyers to help me with my application, simply because I wanted to make sure everything was properly done and that there would be not mistakes in my immigration application, which could cause many delays and problems if there ever where any. It is not necessary to hire immigration lawyers, and contrary to belief it will not help your application with Immigration go quicker, on the Immigration Canada website will even tell you this. I hired the lawyers back in November of 2008, at a price of $3000.00 CND. They sent me and my wife all the required documents via e-mail for us to complete, then they reviewed the completed documents to make sure everything is in order and properly done.( they sent all documents to my e-mail, the documents were separated in two sections, my form's to be completed and my wife's forms) I then forward my wife's documents for her to complete. These documents can be downloaded from the Canadian Immigration website.  Note: If your wife can not read or write English, then she will have to find someone that can help her with the forms and translate the information that they ask from her.

I was told by the lawyers that each case is a little different, on average according to there many years of experience dealing with Immigration that it will take approximately 4 to 10 months before my wife will receive her visa to stay in Canada. However it is most likely to be around the 9-10 month period in my case.

Please keep in mind that Immigration will look at many factors regarding your relationship with you lady/wife, the length of time you known each other,how long you have been corresponding with each other?, if you met in person? how many times? Did your family and friends know about your relationship? does she have any criminal records? and the questions go on and on. This is normal, they have to make sure your relationship is a real one, and that your marriage is not some sort of arrangement or deal you have made (false marriage to allow her to enter the country). This is very understandable.

You have to prove that your relationship is true and that you really are in love with each other. So it is VERY important that you keep EVERYTHING regarding your relationship, here are some examples; If you went to China, KEEP ALL RECEIPTS !! used airline tickets (stubs) and intinuary, Hotel receipts,restaurant receipts,keep all correspondence letters, e-mails,phone bills,get signed letters from your family and her family and friends that knew of your relationship since the beginning when it started,pictures,pictures,pictures of you and your wife together and with the family and friends that you met when in China,keep notes on the date you met each person ( they will ask you this on one of the forms), receipts of all gifts you bought your wife(including wedding ring), write the name of all the places you have visited in China with your lady/wife, other cities/provinces, this includes tourist attractions,restaurants,etc,,Send a scanned copy of your China visa with the red stamps as additional proof you went to China. Scanned image of your lady/wife ID Card, front and back of card,Basically keep record of everything you did together. They ask many questions on the documents, and supporting documents/proof will be asked. The more information you can give them, the better. Everything that I have mentioned here, immigration have asked from me.

My wife had some documents notarized as well, marriage certificate authentication, non criminal certificate,next of ken(who are her parents,brother, where she was born),and a few others. Some of this may not be necessary, however we wanted to give as much information as possible. A "non criminal" certificate is required! Usually this is obtained by the local town police station where your lady/wife lives.

Your wife will have to take a medical exam, she must go to the specific doctor appointed by immigration, they will tell you what doctor she will have to visit with at the appropriate time. The doctor will complete a form that she must return to Canada (to you)to be sent along with the immigration application,(must be the original, no photo copies or scanned images)  

In many cases there will be an interview to attend, ( we have not yet done this, so I can not comment on this issue at the moment.)

It sounds more complicated then it actually is, be honest and truthful, give much details about your relationship, supply them with as much information and proof of your relationship as possible! and everything should be fine.

I know from experience and I know many of you are also feeling this,  "The waiting is really difficult", we must be patient and think of the day when we will reunite with our lady/wife. Hang in there, our lady/wife is well worth it.  :)

Chong

Re: Canadian Immigration Process
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:10:20 am »
Thanks Bob. Looking forward to hearing about your Spousal Visa interview. All the best to you two !!!

Yes, I understand that in Quebec, one is required to show proof of income, but not in the rest of Canada   :roll:

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 11:02:48 am »
Good to hear from a fellow Canadian that is further along in the immigration process. I am still in the stage of collecting all her supporting documents. The agency she was dealing with have only catered to American clients so far. They thought that she only needed the medical done just before the interview. I have told them no and my wife is scheduled to go next week to Guangzhou for her check up. One funny topic that came up - she was told by a friend of hers that her son would need to get circumcised before being allowed to immigrate to Canada. Well...I snipped that rumor of at the bud :lol:
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Oiler1

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:23:11 pm »
Did you ask about pre-nups? If I marry a CW, I have to get a pre-nup. I heard that if you have to have a Canadian lawyer from your province present when she signs it and it has to be in Chinese. It's kind of expensive to bring a Canadian lawyer to China, but someone said you can get the contract notarized.

Yes, some women will object to signing a pre-marriage agreement, but if you have substantial assets, it is only prudent. It does not mean you do not trust her and love her. It is just being practical. Of course everyone has a different situation, but if you have a lot of assets, I recommend it. You don't want to be sorry.

Martin

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 05:33:15 am »
For you guys in Ontario, there is a great company in the Toronto area that help you get your Single Certificate.  They take care of all the running around.  After you bring them all relevant paperwork (ie. divorce certificate) you have to sign everything in front of the lawyer that they provide.  They take care of all the running around.  Cost for me was $300 Cdn.

http://www.chiaris.ca

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
RE: Canadian Immigration Process
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 09:29:42 pm »
Well I received my first letter from immigration. I have qualified to sponsor my wife and her (or should I say) our son. Hong Kong will do the processing so it might take another year. I sent the application documents 1.5 months ago to Immigration. They state that my application meet minimum requirements for completness. I wonder if they ever sent a letter saying anyone has exceeded the requirements:rolleyes:

Oh well, at least it is a step in the right direction.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:30:05 pm by Rhonald »

Martin

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:49:14 pm »
Good to hear Rhonald...keep us guys North of the border posted.

Offline Chong

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 04:55:41 am »
Article from today's Toronto Star indicating that the Canadian refusal rate from the Hong Kong office serving Southern China is mid-forties % ...

http://www.thestar.com/unassigned/article/658649

Best suggestion from article is the following ...

"I know three people who came here on (visitor's) visas and applied here. It takes longer, but at least they're together."

When Nabbie applied to sponsor his wife, he did not realize that out-of-country applicants are not allowed to visit Canada while their request is under consideration.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:58:05 am by Chong »

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 09:35:52 am »
Quote from: 'Chong' pid='6956' dateline='1246352141'

Article from today's Toronto Star indicating that the Canadian refusal rate from the Hong Kong office serving Southern China is mid-forties % ...

http://www.thestar.com/unassigned/article/658649

Best suggestion from article is the following ...

"I know three people who came here on (visitor's) visas and applied here. It takes longer, but at least they're together."

When Nabbie applied to sponsor his wife, he did not realize that out-of-country applicants are not allowed to visit Canada while their request is under consideration.

Last night Maxx got my hopes up with his posting under the other Visa thread. Now this articule has dashed it. I am worried now :huh:

Offline Chong

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 10:20:32 am »
Rhonald ... at least you know what you're up against so you can better prepare yourself for the interview process. All news, good or bad, can help you along the way ... much like this Forum.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:53:59 am by Chong »

Vince G

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 10:43:34 am »
Rhonald when it comes in quickly you have the privilege of sticking your tongue at him. :icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 10:58:31 am »
Quote from: 'Chong' pid='6972' dateline='1246371632'

Rhonald ... at least you know what you're up against so you can better prepare yourself for the interview process. All news, good or bad, can help you along the way ... much like this Forum.

I agree Chong, its just that when you have alot of emotion tied into the result, it becomes hard to stay focused and clear headed. I never liked rollercoaster rides, but sometimes the journey we take pluges us into undulations of extreme emotions.:s

Oh and by the way Chong, I have been enjoying reading your blog site and seeing the fantastic pictures you have posted. Keep it running
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:56:02 am by Chong »

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 05:24:53 pm »
http://www.immigration.ca/discussion2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35408&whichpage=57

A website that has plenty of information about people worrying in getting their wifes visa from the Hong Kong consulate.

Arnold

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 12:56:45 am »
Rhonald , those news bulletin's scare me also . I'm sure Qing read's them too and hence worries more and more as the date get's closer . Hope it's not having to be with me .:-/

Offline Chong

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 05:09:00 pm »
Rhonald, just some news out of Calgary regarding ESL courses ... some genius is proposing that immigrants learn both English AND French ... Tabernac !!!

From the article, it seems that "Level 5" is the aim.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/664319