Author Topic: Canadian Immigration Process  (Read 50802 times)

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
RE: Canadian Immigration Process
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 06:48:01 pm »
I am in Chicago right now.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 11:57:20 pm »
I was talking to an immigration lawyer today in Montreal.  i learned a few new things.  From what she told me, when you walk in to the interview, you are facing someone who believes your marriage is a fake.  You have to prove them wrong.  For some reason, letters from grandparents stating that the marriage is real, holds a lot of merit.  Not sure why grandparents over anyone else.

In the interview, things could get very personal.  They have been known to ask things like what is your husbands favorite sexual position.  I was a little surprised by this one.  So maybe a heads up to your lady might be in order.  Sounds more to me like some civil servant is trying to get his jollies.

She said it would look really good if you can be there at the interview...but failing that, be able to provide a phone number where the officer can reach you.

For those planning parenthood, do not get your wife pregnant before this process starts.  For one, the medical includes an x-ray...and if x-ray can not be done due to pregnancy, then the medical is considered incomplete, and therefore, she is rejected for coming to Canada.  Also, if you have a child, that adds another person to the application, and the process takes a little longer.

This is what I have found out today.  Of course, I will provide more information as it comes my way.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2009, 12:02:03 am »
Quote from: 'Martin' pid='17119' dateline='1253332640'

So maybe a heads up to your lady might be in order.

Heads up?....my head always comes up for my lady.....Oh :blush: you're talking about alerting us....sorry, I miss understood you, but 4 months and I really miss my wife.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 12:03:00 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2009, 12:04:47 am »
It's only been 4 months?  I am almost at 5 myself.  I will be almost 7 before I see her again.  Hard to believe we have been apart this long.  You must be very excited to be getting back again.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2009, 12:09:53 am »
Quote from: 'Martin' pid='17121' dateline='1253333087'

You must be very excited to be getting back again.

yes and
Quote from: 'Martin' pid='17121' dateline='1253333087'

Hard

as well :icon_cheesygrin:

Yes Martin every day seeing each other on webcam - I know I don't have to explain to you as you have also suffered the same fate.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 12:12:46 am by Rhonald »

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2009, 12:25:55 pm »
Quote from: 'Martin' pid='17119' dateline='1253332640'

I was talking to an immigration lawyer today in Montreal.  i learned a few new things.  From what she told me, when you walk in to the interview, you are facing someone who believes your marriage is a fake.  You have to prove them wrong.  For some reason, letters from grandparents stating that the marriage is real, holds a lot of merit.  Not sure why grandparents over anyone else.

In the interview, things could get very personal.  They have been known to ask things like what is your husbands favorite sexual position.  I was a little surprised by this one.  So maybe a heads up to your lady might be in order.  Sounds more to me like some civil servant is trying to get his jollies.

She said it would look really good if you can be there at the interview...but failing that, be able to provide a phone number where the officer can reach you.

For those planning parenthood, do not get your wife pregnant before this process starts.  For one, the medical includes an x-ray...and if x-ray can not be done due to pregnancy, then the medical is considered incomplete, and therefore, she is rejected for coming to Canada.  Also, if you have a child, that adds another person to the application, and the process takes a little longer.

This is what I have found out today.  Of course, I will provide more information as it comes my way.

Good information Martin.  Thanks.
Rhonald, are you using an immigration lawyer?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 12:27:05 pm by Neil »
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2009, 07:57:03 am »
Quote from: 'Neil' pid='17176' dateline='1253377555'

Rhonald, are you using an immigration lawyer?

No - I filled out the information myself and my wife had a friend help at her end. Although my wife used the same lawyer we used when we had my single status document translated for registering our marriage. The Chinese lawyer notarized and translated into English my wife's birth certificate, our marriage certificate (red book), her passport, and Hakku.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:58:50 am by Rhonald »

Offline Bob

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2009, 10:02:54 pm »
Martin, I am just curious, the lawyer you spoke to in Montreal, is it the firm I suggested to you a while back? Robinson Sheppard Shapiro?  (RSS)

This is the firm that I used, I really had excellent service with them. My immigration stuff is all done now, and my wife has already passed her interview at the Canadian Embassy in Beijing back in August and was accepted for the visa to Canada. We are just waiting for the visa to arrive, this should be in about 6 weeks, then she will be flying to Canada, so she should be her by late October, early November. It has been a long wait, but the waiting is almost over for us.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2009, 10:04:57 pm »
Yes Bob...this is the one that you suggested.  Thank you.  I will keep all you CDN guys posted about how this process goes with this firm.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2009, 10:34:09 pm »
Quote from: 'Bob' pid='17495' dateline='1253584974'

We are just waiting for the visa to arrive, this should be in about 6 weeks, then she will be flying to Canada, so she should be her by late October, early November. It has been a long wait, but the waiting is almost over for us.

Congrats Bob. I remember how frantic you were waiting that Sunday evening for the call. If your lucky, she can be here to experience her first Halloween. Best wishes for a speedy arrival.

Offline heckerd

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2009, 01:14:54 pm »
My wife today got a letter from the Hong Kong office asking for her passport. Her application is ready for approval and visa issuance.

2009 Timeline:

1. Married on April 7th
2. Send application to Immigration Canada on June 13th
3. Received letter from Immigration Canada stating application sent to Hong Kong Office on July 15th
4. Hong Kong office requested police records on August 31
5. Permanent resident application appears to be ready for approval and visa issuance letter on September 24th

I was surprise it was approved this quick and no interview required. I was expecting the approval to be sometime next year and an interview.

Note: I didn't use a lawyer as most people told me it was a waste of money unless the application is rejected. Just take your time filling out the application and sending the required documentations.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 02:01:01 pm by heckerd »

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 01:36:13 pm »
WOW!  That was fast!  I hope we can all get processed at this speed.

Prior to getting married...or prior to submitting your paperwork to CIC, how many times did you visit?  How much proof did you provide of your relationship?

Offline heckerd

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2009, 01:59:19 pm »
I visited my wife in October 2008 and again this year for our marriage. I submitted about 12 photos of us together, Skype phone records, MSN chat logs, phone cards before I used Skype, travel receipts, hotel receipts, gift receipts and a copy of our notarized marriage documents. My documentations was on a whole lot maybe around 1 lbs total mostly from the chat logs and phone logs. I started saving my chat logs around September of last year.

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2009, 05:34:49 pm »
Just curious...what province do you live in?  I am only asking because I think most the Provinces and Territories are the same with the exception of Quebec.  I think Quebec has other steps involved.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2009, 08:47:21 pm »
Quote from: 'heckerd' pid='17901' dateline='1253812494'

4. Hong Kong office requested police records on August 31
5. Permanent resident application appears to be ready for approval and visa issuance letter on September 24th

I was surprise it was approved this quick and no interview required. I was expecting the approval to be sometime next year and an interview.

Wow, WOW, did I say WOW? That is fast. I am envious. I never used a lawyer and Hong Kong recieved our files June 18th. Still no word for us. You must have done something in a previous life worthwhile. Congrats for you and your wife.

Oh did you ever check your status through immigration Canada, and if you did, does it reflect your current status?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 08:49:38 pm by Rhonald »