Author Topic: Qing's arrival and beyond .  (Read 128283 times)

Offline shaun

Re: Qing's arrival and beyond .
« Reply #720 on: July 31, 2013, 10:26:29 pm »
Arnold, aren't you a clever cleaver. ::)

Me is thinking that the mods have too much power.  :o
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:30:50 pm by shaun »

Arnold

« Reply #721 on: July 31, 2013, 11:14:42 pm »

Me is thinking that the mods have too much power.  :o

May the Power be with the "Mod's"! ;) 8)  ... any questions?

Offline john1964

• finally together
« Reply #722 on: August 01, 2013, 03:32:33 am »
Great photos Arnold, I do like the one where it looks like your wife is hanging off the cliff ;D, where did you find a lovely woman the same height as you , I'm a foot taller than my wife  :(, John.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #723 on: August 01, 2013, 04:29:33 am »
Its OK John.  Arnold was standing on a box. Ha Ha

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Arnold

« Reply #724 on: August 01, 2013, 01:35:06 pm »
Its OK John.  Arnold was standing on a box. Ha Ha

ssshhhhh.... I've learned that from Scotty our Buddy.

John, you been to Shanghai.. you should know with all the tall Buildings they have.. that it makes their Women also tall. :P

Arnold

« Reply #725 on: August 02, 2013, 03:46:05 pm »
Okay, I just want you all to know... Qing wasn't the only one "hanging" from the Cliff as you can see.

Vince G

« Reply #726 on: August 02, 2013, 03:57:31 pm »
Hanging around on vacation

Arnold

« Reply #727 on: August 04, 2013, 08:20:23 pm »
Vince, guess we like to hang around.. if it's at home or on vacation

4th of August ...

Our Home resemble's a Classroom.. in a way!

I can't believe it's August already. Which means, Tianchi's School will start soon. Actually, his school never ended and come to think of it.. neither has my LaoPo's.
For Tianchi to learn more/faster English, he is besides having regular School (6th grade), he has a private Tutor for three (3) hours a week. Plus we now added special reading Classes/Lessons for his benefit at Antelope Valley College once a week.
That'll keep him busy and less time playing games on his Phone/Computer. It's of course for "his" own good, he just doesn't know it yet.

This is not all of course, as Qing is studying for her GED as well for most of the year now. She did take her Mathematic Test a couple of weeks ago and passed it easy, even not answering all questions.. due to not having enough time. I'm so proud of her, then again.. I never had any doubt she wouldn't pass it. It's only one of five Test's, but a good start. She'll soon take the Reading Test next.

So, I find myself many times having extra time for myself and just do what I please to relax. This I have no problem with, just need to outside our Home to do that. I also spend some time, to think about getting (buying) Solar Panels for our Roof. This investment will finalize in a week or two. This is after all, one think that we discussed for months already. We will then run on Solar power and as promised by the Company doing the job, we could have that "Energy" for at least 3-4 more billion years (the live of our Sun). Not sure we need it that long, but if we do.. we're ready. haha

Arnold

« Reply #728 on: August 11, 2013, 08:24:16 pm »
 :) 08-08-13  :)

It is hard to believe, that Qing and I have been married (Ceremony wise) for five (5) years already. It also makes my Mom/Uncle/Aunt/Friend that joined us in Shanghai back in August '08 wonder for themselves... has it really been that long ago? They say, when you're having "Fun" time flies. Well, it also must fly when your obsolutely "Happy" as well.. it certainly seems that way.
So here is a little something Chinese Women receive never or very seldom from their Chinese Male counterpart... which are "Flowers"!

First thought, I was thinking 5 Roses... then I tell myself.. not enough! So, it happens to come out to 15 instead, as 12 (Doz) didn't seem to fit into the picture of a 5 year Anniversary.
Five Red's= 5 years for Qing's sweet "Love"!
Five Orange= 5 years of warm "Sunshine"!
Five Pink= 5 years of a colorful "Marriage" with my LaoPo!

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #729 on: August 11, 2013, 09:01:52 pm »
Beautiful.  And Chinese Valentines Day is tomorrow...
...as irresistible as chocolate

Offline fivetrout

« Reply #730 on: August 12, 2013, 04:12:10 pm »
There is much more to flowers than meets the eye! I was sent this by Pro Flowers Intl. when I asked about funeral flowers in China.

"Etiquette of Sending Flowers in China (from http://www.chinatravel.com/facts/traditional-etiquette-and-taboos.htm)

Sending flowers is a branch of knowledge and also an art. The language expressed by flowers is indeed very rich. Have you ever grasped the profound meaning of the flowers you have received? When you are about to send flowers, will you feel a bit perplexed? Do you know the meaning of the bouquet composed of red and white roses? Do you know that you should deal with lilies before you send it to a sick. Only by expressing and comprehending the meaning of sending flowers well, can you express this art better.

In order to grasp the true meaning of floriculture, first of all, you should acquaint yourself with the language and meanings of flowers, thereby helping flowers exhibit the essence of bright moon, assemble the wit of heaven and earth, and have the beauty of being natural and content. Through long-term evolution, people endow all sorts of flowers with certain morals to indicate affection and express emotions. For example, passing an imperial examination is reputed as "reaping laurels" and sending-off or parting is reputed as "picking up a willow". A peach is offered to an elder to express good wishes for a good life on his birthday. Pomegranate is presented to newly married couple to express good wishes for more sons. As for "pine, cypress, bamboo, chrysanthemum and lotus", they have their own specific and fixed connotations according to their characters.

Flowers of all shapes relate thousands upon thousands of words. To get acquainted with the meanings of flowers, you may start from the common sense of sending flowers.

Because of different national customs, there are also taboos on sending flowers. You can not copy others mechanically. Every flower has a certain meaning and contains a silent language. Therefore, you should choose different flowers according to the receiver's conditions when sending flowers. When congratulating an elder on his birthday, you ought to send jonquil or a Chinese evergreen. Jonquil symbolizes "health and long life" and Chinese evergreen represents "never growing old".

When men and women are in love with each other, men generally send roses and lilies to women they love. Being beautiful, elegant, pure, fragrant, these flowers are the pledge and symbol of love.

When congratulating on a friend's birthday, you ought to send Chinese roses, red palms, golden rod and Baby's-breath. These flowers symbolize splendid prospects during the best years of life.

When congratulating a newly married couple, you should send roses, lilies, tulips, common Freesia, African chrysanthemum, red palms and Bird of Paradise flowers, etc. As for wedding bouquet, adding several branches of Baby's-breath appropriately will make the bouquet florid and refined.

When paying visits to relatives and friends during festivals, you should send lucky grass, lilies, tulips, which symbolize "happiness and luck".

Couples may send lilies to each other, as lilies signify the happy union lasting one hundred years, being after each other's heart, and being together always.

When sending a friend off, it is appropriate to send sword lilies and red palms, which have the meaning of a pleasant trip and splendid prospects.
There are many taboos on sending flowers to a sick person. When visiting a sick person, you should never send a potted flower in case it will be mistaken for an incompletely cured illness after being ill for a long time. Sharply scented flowers do harm to the sick who has received an operation as they tend to cause coughing; flowers with too flashy colors will jar the nerves of the sick and stimulate a feeling of annoyance. It is appropriate to send orchids, narcissus, callas, lilies and sword lilies, etc. You may also choose flowers that the sick person has a preference for at ordinary times. In this way, flowers will contribute to the peace of mind and the sick person will get well as quickly as possible.
When paying a formal visit to an old venerable man, it is appropriate to send orchids as it has a noble quality and also enjoys a good reputation as "the gentleman of flowers".

When a new store is opened and a company starts business, it is proper to send Chinese roses, red palms, yellow chrysanthemums and Bird of Paradise flowers, etc, as these flowers flower over a long period and have exuberant flowers, which means "prosperity and exuberant wealth".

Arnold

« Reply #731 on: August 12, 2013, 04:44:27 pm »
haha.. usually I send Flowers to only Family members, so there is actually only a handful of Flowers/Colours to worry about. I only send Flowers to China twice (that weren't to my LaoPo), once a "Yellow" Rose to Qing's Mom and a Doz. "White" Roses to my "sister" Lily because her Mom had died.

Arnold

« Reply #732 on: August 24, 2013, 05:36:18 pm »
Saturday, August 24, 2013

Ahhh... found something to do....
... when I find myself with not much to do in our Backyard, I just make myself some work. Which is the case this weekend or two.

Hence I had to cut one of our trees in the back, because it was in the way of the Solar Panels (as mentioned earlier)... I had a thought. Why not make a "Sculpture" out of this cut down poor little tree and have something to google over later.

So, what will it be?

In our Livingroom (by the bay window) I have my own little "Pudong", Pearl Tower- Jin Mao Building- Financial Tower in miniature size's.
Of the three, only the Financial Tower is the shape I can duplicate from a tree stump four feet high.

Here is a Photo of the early progress from this morning. I am pleased with it so far, now it's mostly details and doing the final shape/color to finalize it.

Sorry for having them sideways, but if turned over they look so much shorter.. then the four feet they are.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:37:58 pm by Arnold »

Vince G

« Reply #733 on: August 25, 2013, 08:18:44 am »
Take a belt sander to it. smooth those edges out. Me, I would have made a table or bird bath.

Arnold

« Reply #734 on: August 25, 2013, 12:47:32 pm »
Vince, like I've said.. this is not the finish product yet. I did finished it yesterday and it's ready for Paint. I did smoothen it out somewhat, but want it to look somewhat rough.. gives it certain Scupture feel. You know what I mean.
My neighbor also said, make a Table out of it.. for me.. that's just too ordinary.