Author Topic: Religion Thread  (Read 84783 times)

Vince G

RE: Religion Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2009, 08:14:00 am »
OK Now I'm totally confused???

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2009, 09:30:41 am »
Mike, that was okay but this is what I grew up with in the mountians of Pennsylvania, outside of a little town called Grampian, Pa. on a mountian we called Hogback ( yeah I know, I'm a hillbilly)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-p-XO-_Bwc&feature=related
I hope this works, anyway you get the idea, except now I follow the way of my  Ancestors, any name you call it, it's all the same, one God with many names.
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2009, 05:56:54 pm »
here is a prayer that I translated from Cherokee, I think all the words are right, I think they are at least close,

Oh Great Spirit whose voice I hear in the winds, hear me, I am small and weak,
I need your strength and wisdom.
Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.
Make my hands respect the things you have made and my ears sharp to hear your voice.
Make me wise so that I may understand the things you have tought my people.
Let me learn the lessons you have hidden in every leaf and rock.

I seek strength, not to be better then my brother,
but to fight my greatest enemy..... myself.
Make me always ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes,
so when life fades as the fading sunset,
my spirit may come to you without shame.

I also have this for all those of the brotherhood, from me to you and yours,

May the warm winds of heaven blow softly upon your house,
May the Great Spirit bless all who enter there,
May your moccassins make happy tracks in many snows,
and may the rainbow always touch your shoulder and
may you always walk in sunshine.

May He bless us all.

Vince G

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2009, 06:49:14 pm »
Well MM I can use this one..."May the warm winds of heaven blow softly upon your house" being hurricane season started. :icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Skip

• Foreign Explorer
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2009, 06:51:16 pm »
Quote from: 'mpo4747' pid='6639' dateline='1246054344'

MM

Wonderful prayers .... and of course I had to share some Traditional Irish prayers here too :)

Traditional Irish Blessing and Toast

May the road rise up to meet you,
May the wind be ever at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
And the rain fall softly on your fields

May green be the grass you walk on,
May blue be the skies above you,
May pure be the joys that surround you,
May true be the hearts that love you.

And until we meet again, May God hold
you in the hollow of his hand

and here is a typical Irish prayer (funny)

May those who love us, love us;
and those who don't love us, may God turn their hearts;
and if He doesn't turn their hearts, may he turn their ankles
so we'll know them by their limping.

:icon_cheesygrin:

The last one-that's funny.  I am going to pray it early and often!
Skip
Skip

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2009, 07:15:47 pm »
Mike, I like both of those and that last one is funny, I can only hope it comes true hahaha.

Vince, I truely hope that any winds that blow on you home are as gentle as a soft breeze and not the winds of hell, stay safe my friend:icon_biggrin:

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2009, 01:33:33 pm »
Hehe, Mike I know the first one but the second is new to me, I like it too!
With a surname like yours you must have a lot of relatives here?, what part of the country do they come from? Have you had a chance to visit here yet and look up your roots?

May I ask a personal question too?, you don't have to answer it if you don't want to.
The whole idea of where we came from and where we are headed has fascinated me from an early age and in school myself and the priest that taught us in religion class had great debates, I really respected the guy and his unshakeable beliefs. Was there a moment in your life that lead you to the point where you realised that your belief was true and felt if deep in your heart and "knew" it was real?
I sometimes wonder what that is like and how people arrive at that realisation and what was happening in their lives when they crossed over from being a sceptic to finding their "faith" for real.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Arnold

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2009, 02:03:58 pm »
Irish , as you might already know , my real " Faith " in the Lord , started after my first Wife died . Of all thing's , this most hardest of any test's had me realize that God does love us all . Knowing Cancer can be a very lenghty ordeal with much pain . Seeing my Wife with pain was harder on me , than you can imagine . But one day he decided , to take her quickly with little Pain as possible and let me carry her pain for her instead . As time passed , I realized , that he not only saved my Wife alot of Pain but also me . Which could have streched out over year's . From that moment on , I've never been that close to God . As a reward for having Faith in him , he in return send me on this Journey to find my NEW Wife . Faith and Fate/Destiny go hand in hand . This so true , because I did not go looking for a Wife at all ... it just came all to me . With my help of course and the Lord's guiding of course .
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:06:49 pm by Arnold »

Offline Skip

• Foreign Explorer
« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2009, 02:52:01 pm »
Though I have been a believer for 30 plus years I still struggle getting my mind around what I believe is the absolute truth expressed here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pxBay2r2SI

I have recently become an Episcopalian.  I did it because I love the Holy Eucharist.  The "body and blood" of Christ was foreign concept to me. In the evangelical church it is a symbol; not as Catholics and Episcopalians believe: that each represents the actual supernatural body and blood of Christ.  I endure the music, which I find to be so ancient I can't identify with it, for the Eucharist.

I am glad God didn't leave it up to me to be acceptable.  I would have never made the cut.
Skip

Offline Skip

• Foreign Explorer
« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2009, 02:56:22 pm »
Though I have been a believer for 30 plus years I still struggle getting my mind around what I believe is the absolute truth expressed here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pxBay2r2SI

I have recently become an Episcopalian.  I did it because I love the Holy Eucharist.  The "body and blood" of Christ was a foreign concept to me. In the evangelical church it is a symbol celebrated with grape juice and a matzo type wafer,  not as Catholics and Episcopalians believe: that each represents the actual supernatural body and blood of Christ.  I endure the music, which I find to be so ancient I can't identify with it, for the Eucharist.

I am glad God didn't leave it up to me to raise myself to the level of "acceptable".  I would have never made the cut.
Skip

Vince G

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2009, 03:16:24 pm »
Ok hate to throw a brick threw a window here. But Mike you do know that John the Baptist didn't say "In the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit ..."  That is a Catholic thing.

My ex was Lutheran, me a weakened Catholic. My kids were baptized Catholic as infants. At one time (during the divorce) I told my ex to bring the kids to church, any just so they have something? She said come pick them up Sunday morning and take them to the Lutheran church (Hers)? I said No, you take them it's your church. Well she got a neighbor (she was good at getting others to do her work) that took them to a Catholic church. Same one I use to go to. They both made their communion. But that seems to be the end of it.

shaun

« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2009, 12:15:28 am »
Mike, excellent argument.  I remember debating that argument back in school in the mid 90's.  Glad you found it , will have to look back through my notes at a later date because there is  more info on it.

Man its not easy typing with one hand.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 12:16:04 am by shaun »

Vince G

« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2009, 12:55:45 am »
Shaun what are you doing that your typing one handed? :s

It's all his opinion for a alternative theory. The writings were not written in the same generation unless 50+ years is a generation? And what about the third writings that were not published because it was to contrasting with the other two writings.

Offline Danny

« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2009, 03:03:26 am »
I grew up in the Salvation Army. For me it was like growing up in a little village. The people there knew nothing about life outside of the village. I was known there and felt at home there. There are many good people in that village and I often think of the people I knew there.  

When I became a man, I realised I could not believe in good faith. So I had the choice of staying and pretending to believe, or leaving and losing all the friends and family I had grown up with.

I often wonder if I had met a good woman in my little village, maybe I would be still there, playing in the brass band, comforted by my good wife, content and happy.

I miss it a lot, that sense of belonging. Some nights I even listen to brass band music. Now isn't that an appalling admission *laughs*

In my opinion it's better to be unhappy and lonely and miserable, than to deceive yourself and others, by pretending to be a Christian, when that's not what you honestly believe.

I continue to try and act in that way.

I have told my woman I would much prefer her to be happy without me, than unhappy with me. If she thinks she couldn't be happy living here, then I would understand.

I have managed people for twenty years. I have studied some psychology and marketing and advertising. I am good at what I do.

It is not a difficult thing to manipulate people, to make them do what you wish.

There are certain buttons you can push to make people do as you please. I am thinking about people's desire to belong, to think well of themselves, to be accepted, things like that.

To use this knowledge to get what you wish for is simply disgraceful.

I am not saying this to show off. I am just saying that this is another example of a situation in which doing the right thing is not necessarily brings you any happiness.

I think that is what love really is, when you care about the happiness of someone else, more than you care about your own happiness.

Life is full of hard choices.

When you do the right thing, it doesn't necessarily make you any happier. Mostly it does. But sometimes it doesn't.

I am feeling what so many others feel, month after month: the sadness of being so far away from the one I love, the sadness of longing for someone who might decide in the end to go her own way. Ah well, whatever will be, will be.

I really am glad to have met the people I have met here. It's kind of sad we're dispersed, but one day perhaps, I will catch up with the Aussies and some of my favourites.

Take care, one and all.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 03:04:48 am by Danny »

shaun

« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2009, 07:55:03 pm »
Quote from: 'Vince G' pid='7998' dateline='1247288145'

Shaun what are you doing that your typing one handed? :s

It's all his opinion for a alternative theory. The writings were not written in the same generation unless 50+ years is a generation? And what about the third writings that were not published because it was to contrasting with the other two writings.

Vince I had carpel tunnel surgery on my right hand yesterday.  I will have the left one done later.

I wanted to respond to your alternative theory comment but it may take too long.  A good resource of info are two book called "Evidence that demands a verdict" by Josh McDowell.  It is a dry read but is chocked full of facts and resources.  Josh was an agnostic who was studying law when he set out to prove Christianity false.  What happened is that he discovered truth and has devoted a good portion of his life to seeking out more evidences.

When my had gets better I might share some of the things here.