Author Topic: Religion Thread  (Read 84854 times)

Vince G

Re: Religion Thread
« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2011, 08:02:47 am »
Since the other trend was closed, this trend was buried and I had a point I wanted to make? I am writing here.

The other trend - http://www.chinaromance.net/index.php?topic=2958.msg50537#new

The point I wanted to make was I was not knocking a religion, as much as I was trying to show how a translation changes a quotation.

Offline shaun

« Reply #286 on: March 11, 2011, 11:09:26 am »
Face it Vince.  They just do not want to deal with the subject of Religion or Politics.    I didn't feel like there was a debate but yet it continually came up.

Sorry Martin but everytime something is mentioned you jump or there is a threat by a mod to close the thread.  Bottom line is you don't want anything said about it...   that differs with your thoughts.  I am not taking it personal just recognizing the facts.

I had decided to walk away from the discussion prior to you shutting the thread down because you took it as me trying to debate you.  There wasn't a debate going on at all.  So you don't have to worry.  You can discuss all you want.  I'll keep quiet.

Arnold

« Reply #287 on: March 11, 2011, 12:40:58 pm »
Shaun , I feel Martin did the right thing .. closing the Thread . Listen , I loved you Guys discussing the Bible and all .. but it really belongs here . This is wide open for ANY religious views to be posted , as long as it does not get personal too much . So please don't feel hampered to continue where you Guys left off . It is very interesting to hear/learn what you have digged up .

Offline shaun

« Reply #288 on: March 11, 2011, 01:17:06 pm »
I agree that it should be in the Religion thread.  No problem with that issue.

Vince G

« Reply #289 on: March 11, 2011, 01:25:04 pm »
Well in one way some are afraid it will become a debate that will get out of hand, hurt feelings and a drop in membership because of it. I did say early on to move it here anyway. I also didn't see a debate going on. At least I didn't take it that way.

I know for sure I was not trying to debate anyone or start a fight over religion. Most people need a religion, for there own reason and I am not trying to change it or them. I'm not out to insult anyone either. I simply state how I see it. 

Offline Martin

• Board Moderator
« Reply #290 on: March 11, 2011, 02:03:25 pm »
Sorry Martin but everytime something is mentioned you jump or there is a threat by a mod to close the thread.  Bottom line is you don't want anything said about it...   that differs with your thoughts.  I am not taking it personal just recognizing the facts.

Shaun, I am sorry, but I do not jump...if you recall, I was the one that split the thread, and I was the one that posted some of my thoughts.  However, what you do not realize, is that there are unintended consequences that happen when people read these words.  And, just such an unintended consequence has happened, and I was made aware of it.  So I shut it down, based on that.

If you want to get into a political or religious debate, then I am your man.  Nothing I love more than a good debate or discussion.  And as far as me not wanting to read something that differs from my thoughts....I am a Christian.  Nobody here knows what my beliefs and thoughts are, because I keep them to myself.  But when I run this forum, I have to separate my personal beliefs from that of this forum.  This forum has other purposes, and I try to keep it on an even keel.

So please, don't criticize me for this, because you really don't have all the facts to make an honest judgment. 

Offline shaun

« Reply #291 on: March 11, 2011, 07:09:49 pm »
Martin, Sorry.  I was the one jumping in the earlier post.  Kind of venting if you will.   It has been a difficult week on all fronts but the weekend is here and I am already chilling.  A good night sleep and I'll be a new man.

I do realize you were the one who split the thread.  All that being said I do think you guys jump a little too quick to close but maybe you do it intentionally.  I generally don't say anything because I am not the one in charge.  So before I start to sound like a raving lunatic I apologize and back down.

Ya Ya I know I already sound like one.  :-X

Vince G

« Reply #292 on: May 21, 2011, 12:03:42 am »
Harold Camping’s Math

Harold Camping, a radio preacher who has predicted the end of the world, contends that 2 Peter provides keys to understanding end times.
Part of 2 Peter 3:8 says, “With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.”

With this understanding, Camping says that when God told Noah in the book of Genesis that he had seven days to escape destruction before a worldwide flood, God was also telling the world that there would be exactly 7,000 years until Judgment Day.

Seven thousand years after the flood, which Camping dates to the year 4990 BC, is the year 2011. (Year 4990 BC + 2011 AD - 1 year for the year zero = 7,000 years) May 21 was chosen because it is the 17th day of the second month in the Hebrew calendar, which mirrors the Biblical account in Genesis 7:10-11, which says a flood came in the “six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month.”

Camping has said that the dates of the crucifixion and the statehood of Israel confirm his calculations.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the bible also say that God (btw it's his title not his name and the jews had their reasons for not writing the name. Nothing to do with christians) said he would never again harm the earth in that capacity? Are they making a hypocrite of him?

Offline shaun

« Reply #293 on: May 21, 2011, 12:22:44 am »
Vince.  You are opening a very big can of worms with that question.  Maybe when I have the time I can answer you.

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #294 on: May 21, 2011, 03:55:14 am »
It's true.  I'm here in China and the world has ended.  it is 4:00pm may 21. 

Just kidding.  Let me be the first to prove this whacko wrong.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Vince G

« Reply #295 on: May 21, 2011, 07:54:20 am »
Well... I don't look at it as opening a can of worms since it's all over the news and not a word spoken of it here? Had to shakeup this place it's been to quiet lately.  ;)

Thanks Mike, couldn't remember the quote of the flood. To lazy to look it up and to many variations only agitates me.

Neil you may be already gone? Writing this at 7:50 pm China time. Besides, if I was in China with my lady i'd already be in heaven.  ;D

Besides if he used the bible written in Isreal it would be on Israeli time zone? Shouldn't it?

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #296 on: May 21, 2011, 08:27:48 am »
Harold Camping and his devoted followers claim a massive earthquake will mark the second coming of Jesus, or so-called Judgment Day on Saturday, May 21, ushering in a five month period of catastrophes before the world comes to a complete end in October.

At the center of it all, Camping's organization, Family Radio, is perfectly happy to take your money -- and in fact, received $80 million in contributions between 2005 and 2009.

So he doesn't say the world ends today but the start of the end begins today. Also at receiving $80 million he shows his faith buy evidence of his profit, prophesying is good for business. I can attest to this becausing as an Atheist - I show no prophet  being a poor pauper  ::) zero profit.

Most religions have a doom and gloom scenario anyways, and the stairway to heaven conviently places toll booths that need collections from fellow followers, before permission is given to use the yellow brick road. At least my wife has a pair of red ruby slippers which can be found at .... "there is no place like home"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 08:47:00 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Vince G

« Reply #297 on: May 21, 2011, 10:10:00 am »
It just boggles my mind that there are some that would believe him so deeply that they sold off everything they had and gave him the money?

Reminds me of the Led Zeppelin song Stairway to Heaven.

Just another fruitcake so deeply rooted in his own little world that he doesn't see the obvious.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #298 on: May 21, 2011, 01:53:11 pm »
well Vince what you wrote could give a preacher a whole sermon.

But them I have heard Nigerian Preachers talk for two and half hours on just two or three words from the Bible.  But as a Christian it does bother me that the Christian organisations in the world do become very wealthy beyong their needs.

We also  have American preachers who admit that the income of their organisation is over 500 million dollars plus  a year.  But then again many of them do not declared their income as it is not required by US law for religious organisations to do so.

Willy.

Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Vince G

« Reply #299 on: May 21, 2011, 05:21:30 pm »
Well Willy that's the root of evil that makes me strikeout at most of these so called religions. Preaching the bible in the name of God but only picking blinded peoples pockets.  Say that fast five times?  :P