Author Topic: Move to China or not?  (Read 6041 times)

Offline Hans

• Once you go Asian you never go Caucasian
    • http://motpol.blogspot.com
Move to China or not?
« on: June 29, 2009, 02:48:12 pm »
I am a little curious about what plans all the other board members have with their ladies regarding future residence. Is your plan to take the lady to your country or to move to China? Have you considered both alternatives? Have you talked about it with her – if you have, what was her response? I know many of us will say that it doesn't matter as long as we are together with the one we love and maybe that's the simple truth. But still - we have to make the decision sooner or later.

I have been in love with China since my first visit four years ago so my dream is to move there in a few years. Learning Chinese at a university in the West is fine, but to actually learn the language I think you need to be in China for some time. Maybe it will only stay a dream and I know that there are tons of practical issues to be dealt with, but with a Chinese lady as my inspiration I will at least make a try for it. We have not actually discussed it at length yet, though. Of course we could live together here in Sweden. But I don't have much family left here anymore and it would be much more difficult for her to learn both English and Swedish than for me to learn "only" Mandarin. And - I love China. :heart:

So what is your plan, guys?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 02:49:23 pm by Hans »

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
RE: Move to China or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 02:50:55 pm »
Angel is coming to the states. No question.  But if worse came to worse and her Visa was refused, I would go there.
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Vince G

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 03:13:24 pm »
Several plans in place. Starting with we marry there come here. If all goes well ($$) six months there in summer, six here in winter. Second plan, we live here and visit there when we could. A couple more plans but the last one is if she can't come here? I'm moving there.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 03:27:27 pm »
Mine wants to live here for 10 to 15 years, then when we retire, move there.
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 03:50:22 pm »
Good question, and one Ling and I have discussed at length.
She has a good job and a comfortable lyfestyle, I  have pretty much the same here. I love China and have often thought aboutdoing the TEFL thing even if things didn;t work out with me and Ling.

The current idea is that she will visit me here to get an idea of what living here would be like and we'll take it from there. I don't have a mortgage and have been saving as house prices here are in full crash mode and likely to stay like that for another couple of years minimum so nothing to stop me moving to China, and that idea appeals to me hugely if I'm honest. While my job and lifestyle are comfortable I've been doing the same kind of role the last 10 years and am facing a bit of a ceiling money wise in my profession so maybe its time for something new?

As long as my future is with her I'll be happy any place, i think if we had kids that I'd rather bring them up here though - better healthcare and opportunities for them here I think, a lot to think about in years to come.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 05:37:30 pm »
Zhou and I are going to live ther after I retire in 13 more years, I'll sell the buisness and take the money from that, my 401k, and the sale of a few things I have here and go there.
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

shaun

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 07:15:39 am »
Mike 4747 sorry to hear the bad news, hope you find a new job soon.

I am considering both.  My children will be having children within the next 5 years and would like to be here for that and maybe retire there.  Income could go a lot further.  There are a lot of issues to settle in my heart alone then you've got her heart to think about.

Offline China Shark

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 12:44:08 pm »
It can be done and life really is much simpler here.
China Shark Mike
Living life the way it should be. Following the path less traveled!!!!!!!!!

Offline Hans

• Once you go Asian you never go Caucasian
    • http://motpol.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 02:06:27 pm »
Quote from: 'China Shark' pid='6989' dateline='1246380248'

It can be done and life really is much simpler here.

That's what I am dreaming of. A simple life with a woman I love. The biggest issue is to find a decent job in China. I still have about 35 years left before retirement. Oh, well. One thing at a time...

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 03:51:40 pm »
Well I made the decision too move too China on two points

Point One: China Shark, his refusal to lie down, and everything he has wrote about living there, and the pleasure he must get with his teaching.

Point Two: I wondered after reading so many (bad) stuff that was coming onto the forum (at that time), that if anything was to happen between Ke Ren and I (not knowing me etc), then I am going to live there and I can find someone else, and because of my life's experiences, I could teach, I was going there for a holiday anyway, it's a chance of a lifetime......So why not take the chance. The United Kingdom has had it's day and is dying  on it's feet, and I have nothing here holding me, divorced, no kids at home, unemployed....
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 03:54:31 pm by Scottish_Rob »

Arnold

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 11:48:30 pm »
I see Robert , the UK is looking like the US . China does look like our best ESCAPE out of those ones beautiful places . I hope it will not get itself too westernized , at least not while were there .
Also going by my Mother , that lives in Germany now for some time , thing's she say's are getting worse than Detroit . She lived there for some ten year's and felt safer . Now that got to mean something ?:s
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:51:35 pm by Arnold »

Vince G

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 12:00:33 am »
Well I got a "Job offer" but it's in Brazil. I get to live in a mansion across from the beach? Put a crew together to remodel homes there, but I don't see that happening. I'm not to big on living there and what do I do with my lady in China?

Offline Neil

• happily married, working on immigration
  • Zhangping, Fujian bound.
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 01:03:31 am »
But Brazilian girls...  wait, nevermind.
...as irresistible as chocolate

Vince G

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 01:12:48 am »
Neil, yeah I know but? :icon_wink:

shaun

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 09:02:22 pm »
Hey Mike, where did you get a picture of my x?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 09:02:40 pm by shaun »