Author Topic: Urumqi  (Read 9578 times)

Offline Hajo

Urumqi
« on: July 06, 2009, 01:56:29 pm »
Well, my trip to Urumqi is scheduled for the end of July. On the 31st of July I am supposed to get on an airplane in Billund, Denmark. 24 hours later I should be landing in Urumqi.

But since yesterday I feel a little afraid that my trip could be in jeopardy. Until yesterday I have been chatting with Vicky between 2 and 4 hours daily. But now the Internet connections are closed. But we are lucky that we can use the short message system. It is blacked out some times, but not all the time. She told me not to be worried. I just hope the best!

But Vicky and I are pretty sure that we will overcome these obstacles. I will write a short review on the relationship Vicky and I have, as I think only a few have read my blog. I have not been very active in my blog, because of much work.

Jin Yong (Vicky) and I started to write on April 13th 2009. Our relationship developed pretty fast. Already after a few letters I send my email-address to Jin Yong and told her we might write short letters to each other to learn each other languages. Her first private mail arrived on May 6th. It was in both Chinese and English.

Her first private message: HaJo????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????
Hello HaJo:Iam Jin Yong?I use my e—mail?write to you?today is May 6?is the first time I try to write in English to you?there may be many chinese name????I write in English again,please advice thank you!

I was very happy for it! Since then we wrote daily private messages and EMF’s beside it. For the translation we use Internet translators like www.MDBG.net. It works most of the times. Hehe. The same as I received the first private message, I received Jin Yong’s QQ ID. We have spent many hours on QQ since. Two days later I had gotten Jin Yong’s cell phone number.

On May 19th I received an EMF telling me to hurry home after work. Jin Yong was waiting for my first phone call at home. Damned, I was pretty nervous. But from the forums I knew, a little laughter would help. We had a lot of fun about two hours. Mostly we wrote on QQ and tried to say a few words. I will never forget that day.

A few weeks later we agreed to get married. Before that we agreed on that I would visit Urumqi in the beginning of August. I did some research on how I could get Jin Yong to Denmark. With a little bit of luck, Jin Yong will leave China together with me on when my vacation is over. We have planned to get registered on the 2nd of August in Urumqi. Later the same day we take the airplane to Beijing. Monday morning we want to visit the Danish Embassy and apply for a tourist visa to Denmark. But read my blog or the forum from end of July and find out what is going to happen!

I forgot, when I arrive at Urumqi Airport, only Jin Yong will pick me up, no people from the agency. It was her wish. And then we go directly to Jin Yong's home. No hotel needed, hehe.

But for now, I just hope that there will not be more riots in Urumqi. I have booked my flight. I am waiting for the translation of the single certificate. When I have that, I will apply for the visa. And soon I will be in Urumqi! Hehe
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:00:11 pm by Hajo »
爱你的人如果没有按你所希望的方式来爱你,那并不代表他们没有全心全意地爱你。
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Offline Ed W

RE: Urumqi
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 02:00:03 pm »
great news Hajo! I hope everything goes awesome!!! What ever wrinkles pop up I'm sure you'll both smooth em out with no effort.

Best wishes for you and your lady!!
Alright earthlings, what form do you want me to take?....How about a taco, ....that craps icecream?  My trip to china

Arnold

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 02:07:47 pm »
Riot's in Urumqi , heck NO .... I was nowhere near there .:angel: They can't blame that on Me .

i know what you mean Hajo loosing the Lifeline to your Sweetheart , can be pretty upsetting . Glad you have a backup in place . This whole Blog block has me still upset .

Just stay your Course and you two will be fine .
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:08:56 pm by Arnold »

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 03:14:42 pm »
Hi Hajo ;)
Glad to hear news from you and reading that you are leaving soon in Urumqi.
I wish you got all you need in time and that your trip will be, as most of brothers here, a wonderful moment :)

by the way, don't forget to keep us updated when you'll be there :)
- Let's Rock -

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 04:04:49 pm »
Good news Hajo, well done mate.  The best of luck is sent to you from the one who has the highlands of Scotland in his heart...:icon_biggrin:  Not read your blog yet mate, will do soon, remember and let the brothers how things are going!!!!  We want DETAILS  hehe:angel: well most of them....:huh:

Offline Sylvain D

• oO0° SLY °0Oo
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 12:40:59 am »
Quote from: news
Deadly riots rocked Xinjiang
Created on 07.07.09 at 04h28 | Mis à jour le 07.07.09 à 04h28 | 0 comments
Enlarge text size Reduce text size | Print Send by e-mail

China has been the scene this weekend of ethnic riots the most violent she had known for decades. Sunday, clashes have, according to regional police authorities, at least 156 dead and 828 wounded in Urumqi, the regional capital of Xinjiang, an autonomous region of north-west. The clashes took place between the Uighurs, Turkic-speaking people and Muslim majority in the region, and Hans, the dominant ethnic group in China. The circumstances of the violence are still unclear. The government has accused the Uighurs of attacking the Han and pointed the finger at exiled Uighur dissent. Chinese television showed injured covered in blood, burned vehicles and the crowd throwing stones at police. Hundreds of people were arrested, according to authorities.

According to residents, Urumqi was dead yesterday. Shops remained closed and a curfew was declared. Internet and mobile communications have been interrupted, and the police criss-crossing the city. The province, populated by 8.3 million Uighurs, is regularly troubled separatists. It is a part, with Tibet (see below). The outbreak of violence in Urumqi also mentions the riots in Lhasa, the Tibetan capital on 14 March 2008 - China was accused of Tibetans attacking Han dix-and killed eight civilians and a policeman. "The Hans stifle the Uighurs," says Jean-Vincent Brisset, of the Institute of International and Strategic Relations.

I hope it will not affect your journey there :-/
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 06:17:04 am by Irishman »
- Let's Rock -

Offline Hajo

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 01:41:38 am »
Well, that is what I fear most. I have to apply for the visa next week. I hope it will be no problem, but I am afraid of the worst. :s
Just because someone doesn't love you the way you want them to, doesn't mean they don't love you with all they have.

Offline raymond-

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 08:07:18 am »
Quote from: 'Hajo' pid='7615' dateline='1246945298'

Well, that is what I fear most. I have to apply for the visa next week. I hope it will be no problem, but I am afraid of the worst. :s

Yeah, it'll be touch and go.  Unfortunately, in this kind of a situation,
the politics of the Chinese will dictate your travel conditions.  Slightly
similar is what occurred in Lhasa - to minimize outside influences
and rabble rousing, they simply cut off tourists and visitors. But the
current Uighar v Han situation wouldn't seem to be a reason to exclude
foreigners.  The Chinese have, in the past, curtailed visitors for safety
reasons and to avoid intergovernmental headaches.

Hope the unrest abates and allows you to complete your visit with
your young lady.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:08:17 am by raymond- »
raymond-
47º34'N 122º18'W

Offline JimB

• http://www.jandyenterprises.com
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 03:05:04 pm »
Why not make alternate arrangements?  If possible, have her meet you in a different City. Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing or some other where it is easy for her to get there.  At least until you know what is happening there.

I think it would be prudent to at least get some flight numbers set aside so if need be you could do it at the last minute and not have to go shopping around or pay full price because you dont have time to check.  Just my .02c
Maxx's 24 hour rule, learn it, live it.

Offline Hajo

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 03:34:41 pm »
To meet is a minor problem! We could meet in Beijing. That would be no problem. But we have to get married in Urumqi. That is where we have the problem. We will go to Beijing anyway after the registration.

We hope the government will get the situation under control.

Offline JimB

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 03:43:49 pm »
I understand that. I will be in Beijing from August 11th to October 11th. If you have time maybe dinner or lunch.  I guess i missed the marrying part. Congrats.

Offline Hajo

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 04:23:48 pm »
Thanks for the invite, but we will leave Beijing on the 7th again. Jin Yong's son has birthday on the 12th and if everything goes as I hope, we will have a lot of packaging to do. We will try to get a tourist visa for Jin Yong. That's our main reason the trip to Beijing :icon_biggrin:

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 07:10:58 pm »
Hajo, do you have to get married in Urumqi because her family is there or is because she needs to get married where she lives because of the local law?

Hey Jim, I'll be in Tianjin (half hour train ride to Beijing) then, I'd love to meet up and swap stories and share a couple of beers over lunch with you if you are interested?
My Ling will be in work during the daytime that week so I'll be exploring Tianjin and Beijing (mostly) and would appreciate the chance to speak to another westerner and of course to meet up with another brother would be cool.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline JimB

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 08:05:55 pm »
Absolutely.  That is the law. Must get married in your home of record.  That is why Angel  and I have to get married in Wuhan.  Would like to get together.  I will be in Wuhan from August 19th to the 26th other than that I will be in Beijing.

Quote from: 'Irishman' pid='7678' dateline='1247008258'
Hajo, do you have to get married in Urumqi because her family is there or is because she needs to get married where she lives because of the local law?

Hey Jim, I'll be in Tianjin (half hour train ride to Beijing) then, I'd love to meet up and swap stories and share a couple of beers over lunch with you if you are interested?
My Ling will be in work during the daytime that week so I'll be exploring Tianjin and Beijing (mostly) and would appreciate the chance to speak to another westerner and of course to meet up with another brother would be cool.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 08:09:27 pm by JimB »

Offline Hajo

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 11:52:30 pm »
Ronan, it's like Jim says. It's the law that says you have to get married where the lady has been born. At the moment there is a curfew on Urumqi and all the Internet connection are shut down. Mobile net is crippled too. Once in a while short messages go through. But it is not easy to communicate with the ladies in Urumqi. But it seems that government has the sitiuation under control.