Author Topic: What do you guys think?  (Read 16963 times)

Offline maxx

Re: What do you guys think?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2009, 10:13:13 am »
Josh good job glad to hear you made the first phone call.It should be a little easer next time.Just keep it moving make steady progress.

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2009, 10:57:45 am »
Well played Josh as we would say here, you got a great result!
Getting the mother on board is a big step, you must have said the right things, well done!
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
    • http://joshchinaadventure.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2009, 02:26:33 pm »
we have now started chatting on msn.  I thank all you guys for your advice.  I think without your guys help I would have lost her.  I owe a debt of grattitude to you all that put their 2 cents in. I believe Le and and I will have a way to build a great relationship now.
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

Arnold

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2009, 12:28:53 pm »
You know , it's really hard to say , since there are so many factors involved here with different Lady's and Agency's . What I see is exactly the same type of letter I still receive from Min ( sister ) in Baoding . They do look like Form letter's most of the time with a little sweetness added to make it look like it's not .
Now my Wife , at the very beginning alway's pretty much wrote letter's the same if not even longer than mine sometimes . That also goes for my sister Lily in Kunming . The last two , you know right away , that these are coming right from the Lady's themself's , with only the Translator doing his Job .... Translating .... nothing else . Min's a shy Lady , but with her continuing short letter's and not much substance to make a great forward moving relationship , this would not be my first choice of concidering her for Wife material . Don't get me wrong , she is a very kind and softhearted person , that's why I kept her as a Sister , but ... Wife ... No . So , I myself Josh , only if this is not moving ahead , find another to write to and see if that will improof your Communication's more . I know we all should take our time here , but time cost Money ( EMF's ) and we do need to spend it wisely , especially now in the bad Economy . Hope this is helping .

Arnold

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2009, 12:37:40 pm »
Josh , well a little late with my advice , but it is not just for you , it can help the ones after you with the same problem .
I am happy for you that your relationship with Le is going the right way . Now it's time for some good quality time .

Offline David

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2009, 01:48:15 pm »
Josh I am very happy your first phone call went so well.  Plus now you have already met her mother!  Way to go! :D

Offline MLM

• Zhou Li Weng Maines
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2009, 08:20:27 pm »
Josh, way to go dude, now all you have to do is keep talking to Le and her Mom, do as Mom asked and things will go easier  :roll: for the two of you, next step, go see your lady and her family. :D
Good luck and keep up the great work. ;)
TIME IS THE TELLER OF ALL TRUTHS AND THE HEALER OF ALL HURTS

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 08:40:35 pm »
Quote from: "sameldrum1"
To anyone here who knows...I just got the phone number of a girl, and talked to her even though we don't speak but a word or two of each other's language at this point.

My question -- how to you send a text message on the phone in Chinese? I would love to do that, but do you write it in pinyin (or whatever it's called), or what do you do?  Thanks.

I use - http://www.talk2china.com/english/
You can send in Chinese or English and is dirt cheap. Your girl can reply back to you by sending a regular text message to the number it sends from (costs her regular text price - 0.1RMB), it then emails you her reply or you can check it in real time on the website. I can't sent texts to china from my mobile phone at all here so this is a pretty good fit. They can even sent you regular attachments, pictures etc from their phones to you this way, its pretty cool.

Arnold

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 01:08:04 am »
Vince , I guess , I can tell you right here . I try'd your Link to have English translated to Chinese . I wrote Qing a short letter in English and have the Computer translate it to Character's and I send it off . Today , I received a reply from her laughing and telling me that it is pretty bad , but she could barely make out what I mend to say . So this is not a very good way to do it , it seems . If it was perfect , who would need Chnlove's translator's ? Thought , I just let you know this .

Offline TomFisher

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 08:42:01 pm »
I know I posted somewhere before but I use MDGB at http://de.mdbg.net/chindict/chindict.php?page=translate  It gives you the Chinese characters and it also gives you the pinyin with the definition for each character.  I usually write a paragraph and translate it, look at the pin yin and then copy and paste the chinese characters to translate back to English.  Often it works well the first time but there are times when I rewrite a sentense so that it makes sense when translated both ways.  Also having the definitions of the character & pin yin on the page lets you have  better idea of what you really translated.  NO it will never replace a human-in-the-loop translator, and it is a little work to translate bidirectionally and edit.  But so far my lady has understood all of my letters and I asked her to be honest, I think she was.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 03:04:29 am »
I have been using google translator, and for the most part it has worked wonderfully.  There has been times where the translation had her all kinds of confused like this evening when I had asked her if she needed to go since she had a busy day.  She replied back 'you dont want to come see me now?'  But we chat on msn with very good conversations using this.  Plus it helps she had purchased translator software so when she dont understand :lol:  I just send to her in english then she translates it. :lol:
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 10:43:54 am »
Josh you might find Tbot useful in msn, works quite well and no need for copy and pasting.

Paul Todd

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 05:08:28 pm »
Way to go Josh! You are moving right along. Sounds like she's putting a lot of effort and time into this thing. I'm really happy for you both. Web cam helps, and with mother on side,well just how great is that!

Offline Josh Markley

• Inmate #cqa1265789
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 10:45:28 pm »
Thanks Paul, yes things are working great.  They want me to come earlier than I had planned, but with the summer being the busy time of the year for me I dont think I can take off sooner than scheduled.  She is trying very hard, in fact she went and bought english books to learn.  Things have really taken off since msn.
麥杰德
QQ 859407630

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2009, 12:19:59 pm »
i get the feeling Josh that you are going travel the Chinese road of destiny to the end here, delighted to hear its working out for you  :)