Author Topic: meaning of visit  (Read 34677 times)

rockycoon

RE: meaning of visit
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2010, 09:43:13 pm »
we have brothers in the US that can hide you if needed...:icon_cheesygrin:

Keep an eye on that horse around thanksgiving....:dodgy:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 09:44:32 pm by rockycoon »

Offline Lee357

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2010, 10:51:47 pm »
ok here is the pic of my Lady
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 09:10:44 am by Lee357 »
Does it matter to the bird if an apple is Red or Green? Or does the bird just care that the apple is sweet.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2010, 10:58:31 pm »
Glad your trip was a - I got smashed, or is that, smashing success :icon_cheesygrin: And thanks for sharing her picture with us here. I also like your quote about the apple. But I think the bird will be happy with any kind of apple once it is turned into apple cider.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:59:27 pm by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

rockycoon

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2010, 11:34:20 pm »
Nice picture, very beautiful lady, however I still say "you" are going to be washing dishes when she
gets westernized...:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Lee357

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2010, 12:06:13 am »
Quote from: 'rockycoon' pid='32284' dateline='1266813260'

Nice picture, very beautiful lady, however I still say "you" are going to be washing dishes when she
gets westernized...:icon_cheesygrin:

Did I forget to tell you all that when I go over in october I am going to stay there. I can't believe I am going to but I am all the same. I have signed up for a tesl course in Zhuhai and after I am going to teach in china. I am an EMT/firefighter by trade but I do have a masters degree in agriculture and a bachelors in physics with a minor in astrophysics. I love my job but I do love this woman so much more. So no westernizing for her. lol  :exclamation:
This is by far the craziest thing I have ever done but I am sure it will work out as I have extensive traveling experience in China and I know alot about living conditions in china. So I think I have a good idea of what I am getting into. I descided to move there for at least 2 years on about the fourth day on this visit. I always have loved China. so why not. :s
Does it matter to the bird if an apple is Red or Green? Or does the bird just care that the apple is sweet.

Offline Lee357

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2010, 09:47:43 pm »
So I found out today that changing my Visa from a L to a work visa is not going to be as easy as I first thought. Since I will be "going" to china in october for the tesl class and it last for 32 days I cant change my visa type yet. So I have a question for those of you that are currently teaching in china. How easy is it to get your visa type changed once you get a job teaching, and can you still just hop over to Hong Kong to pick up the new visa, or will I have to come all the way back to the states to get it? If this is covered in another post please just direct me to it and I will do the research myself.
Oh I forgot to mention that I will be going to get married in july and then returning to start the immigration paper work and put my "things in order" in the states then returning again in October to begin my new life with Linya.
Why does it seem to me that I have no time to do all these things, yet I have months to get them done? (not intended to be answered) :icon_confused:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:49:44 pm by Lee357 »

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2010, 09:48:54 pm »
You will be OK in Zhuhai.   Living conditions there are probably the best in all of China.  Completely new city - non of the old former fishing village remains.

Maybe I will come across from Zhongshan and meet up - it is only 20 rmb by bus.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

ttwjr32

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2010, 10:24:13 pm »
Lee,

one of the biggest misconseptions is that you can get a work visa in hong kong. right now that is nearly
impossible for someone from the USA. Schools will tell you they can get you a work visa but you must check
to see if they have the papers that enables them to hire and employ western people. this certificate is issued
to them by the govt and if they have that then they can get you one but it will involve a trip back home. so
dont let anyone tell you different and from my sources in the govt here in GZ this will probably change after
the asian games this year. but you cant have a guarantee on that. the govt here moves as fast as a herd of
turtles stampeding thru peanut butter.:icon_cheesygrin:

Offline Lee357

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2010, 11:19:00 pm »
Quote from: 'Willy The Londoner' pid='32332' dateline='1266893334'

You will be OK in Zhuhai.   Living conditions there are probably the best in all of China.  Completely new city - non of the old former fishing village remains.

Maybe I will come across from Zhongshan and meet up - it is only 20 rmb by bus.

Willy

It would be an adventure I am sure to meet you.
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='32338' dateline='1266895453'

Lee,

one of the biggest misconseptions is that you can get a work visa in hong kong. right now that is nearly
impossible for someone from the USA. Schools will tell you they can get you a work visa but you must check
to see if they have the papers that enables them to hire and employ western people. this certificate is issued
to them by the govt and if they have that then they can get you one but it will involve a trip back home. so
dont let anyone tell you different and from my sources in the govt here in GZ this will probably change after
the asian games this year. but you cant have a guarantee on that. the govt here moves as fast as a herd of
turtles stampeding thru peanut butter.:icon_cheesygrin:

Thank You this is what my research so far has lead me to think but was not sure. The school where I am taking the tesl corse Guarantees  employment with a government college for anyone with a masters degree from a U.S College. I did not know about the certificate issued to the schools from the govt. thanks for your advise.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:20:22 pm by Lee357 »

rockycoon

« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2010, 12:42:44 am »
Lee, with all that education behind you, It won't be a problem,  but as I see it, you might end up working for the government.
by the way what are you going to do about all those beautiful horses?

ttwjr32

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2010, 02:01:50 am »
Lee,

what school and were is it at in China were you will be going?
i will do some checking for you at this end to see what type of
school and its history as you know these places are a dime a
dozen here in China along with online courses. i do know the colleges
in Guangzhou that are govt run or backed depending how you look
at it dont require a tefl or tesol certificate if you have a degree so
that kind of concerns me??

Offline Lee357

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2010, 04:08:44 am »
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='32373' dateline='1266908510'

Lee,

what school and were is it at in China were you will be going?
i will do some checking for you at this end to see what type of
school and its history as you know these places are a dime a
dozen here in China along with online courses. i do know the colleges
in Guangzhou that are govt run or backed depending how you look
at it dont require a tefl or tesol certificate if you have a degree so
that kind of concerns me??

College is not asking me to get TESL but I have never taught before so I thought it would not hurt.
TEFL International,
c/o Gateway Language Village
Ningxi Road, Xiangzhou
People's Republic of China
This is where I am taking tesl course
and the college that is offering the job is Zhuhai College of Beijing Normal University 18 class hrs, plus english corner 2 days a week and 4 hrs office hrs. 9000 rmb a month plus housing.
Not sure of what the housing is at this point.
I have no Idea if this is a standard deal or not would apreciate any input.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 04:10:01 am by Lee357 »

ttwjr32

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2010, 11:17:09 am »
the 18 hours is pretty much standard which will with prep time take up the whole week.
office time added into this and the english corner is an additional time that will take up
almost another day depending on the scheduling time  when you break it down your
making about 48 rmb an hour   also check on the apartment because some schools
provide housing but charge you for water,electric,gas,cable tv, security based on square meter
which is usually 1rmb per sq meter and also building maintenance which is usually the same
so when you get paid its like this

-800 utilities
                                  -  75- security
                                  -  75-garbage
                                  - 420 taxes (1% of wages over 4800 rmb)
                                 ---------------------------------------
                                 7630 net rmb deposited in your account

this now takes you to about 35 rmb per hour maybe 40  the only large descrepency will
                                                                               be in the utilities were they try
                                                                               and make extra money.
    see if they will pay you for the english corner as some are open to this and it takes more
    time than one would think to do especially 2 times a week. but at least you get the work visa
    i hope and i would get that in the contract that they dont have to have you go back to the
    states to do. a lot of schools say they will and then come back and say they cant get it
    figuring that you will stay anyway because you are here. the end of this year with the asian
    games is not exactly the best time to be doing this without the proper papers. a good question
    to ask what do i do while your getting my z visa if asked. if they say "just tell them you are observing"
    "and not teaching" then in all probability they will not get you a work visa.

Offline Lee357

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2010, 01:01:40 am »
Quote from: 'rockycoon' pid='32367' dateline='1266903764'

Lee, with all that education behind you, It won't be a problem,  but as I see it, you might end up working for the government.
by the way what are you going to do about all those beautiful horses?

My horses will be taken care of by my farm hands. I have leased out my land but I still have 2 farm hands that run the feed lots. They currently are taking care of the horses and I don't see why that should change.
Quote from: 'ttwjr32' pid='32390' dateline='1266941829'

the 18 hours is pretty much standard which will with prep time take up the whole week.
office time added into this and the english corner is an additional time that will take up
almost another day depending on the scheduling time  when you break it down your
making about 48 rmb an hour   also check on the apartment because some schools
provide housing but charge you for water,electric,gas,cable tv, security based on square meter
which is usually 1rmb per sq meter and also building maintenance which is usually the same
so when you get paid its like this

-800 utilities
                                  -  75- security
                                  -  75-garbage
                                  - 420 taxes (1% of wages over 4800 rmb)
                                 ---------------------------------------
                                 7630 net rmb deposited in your account

this now takes you to about 35 rmb per hour maybe 40  the only large descrepency will
                                                                               be in the utilities were they try
                                                                               and make extra money.
    see if they will pay you for the english corner as some are open to this and it takes more
    time than one would think to do especially 2 times a week. but at least you get the work visa
    i hope and i would get that in the contract that they dont have to have you go back to the
    states to do. a lot of schools say they will and then come back and say they cant get it
    figuring that you will stay anyway because you are here. the end of this year with the asian
    games is not exactly the best time to be doing this without the proper papers. a good question
    to ask what do i do while your getting my z visa if asked. if they say "just tell them you are observing"
    "and not teaching" then in all probability they will not get you a work visa.

This is very sound information I thank you. I called the contract officer at the college and she said that they will not pay extra for the english corner sessions but If I would agree to paying the utilities on the apartment they would drop one of the sessions and lower my office hours to 2 hrs. I asked about the apartment and she said that right now they would pay all apartment related costs per the contract (I have not seen nor signed anything yet). I also asked about if they had the certificate from the government to hire westerners. She told me yes and when asked if she would send a copy of the certificate when we decide on a final draft of the contract she said she would. I think that your advise is helping me ask the right questions right now and she seems to think I have a lot of knowledge about this proccess. I think it is helping me in the overal negotiations. Thank you I will owe you big time. She did tell me that I could pick the work visa up in hong kong though. When questioned further about my impression that this is not possible right now she told me that very rarely they do have problems with this when dealing with americans. If they can not do it then I would have to go home to get the visa. So I asked if that was an expense that the school would cover and she told me no. So I asked if the school would cover it if I agreed to 2 english corners a week and only 1 hr office hours. I know that the english corner sessions are very important to the schools as they use them to recuit new students with them. New students=more money. Simple economics. I am having fun with this really. A chinese trying to out negotiate an ald cow man. I have horse traded and negotiated with the best of them my whole life. Added bonus that I can speak fluent mandarin and she does not know it. I am pulling the old migrant worker trick on them right now. Me no speak madarin:huh: .
Linya seems to think that we could live very well on 5000 rmb a month and she advises me not to settle for less than that as a take home fiqure. Those of you already in that area could we live comfortably on 5000rmb a month take home? From the above fiqures I am already above that any way. Problem I have is I am still going to have to start negotiating for less time on the job so I can have more time to travel and enjoy my time with my new wife. Since this is actually why I am going to move there. You know try and avoid the whole missing her thing while the U.S imigration thing crawls along at the pace of a slug. My attorney assures me that since I own several holdings in the U.S and also own my farm that I will not have to work and stay in the U.S while the proccess is going on. Apperantly from reading other post this seems to be a concern for some. I do miss her already and it has been less than a week since I was with her. So I could not imagine not living with her as we wait for her to be able to come to the U.S.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:04:23 am by Lee357 »

ttwjr32

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2010, 02:05:33 am »
Lee,

what part of the USA do you live in? this is relevant for your work visa. i looked on your info and it didnt say.
you could get the papers to the embassy in New York or the consulate in San Francisco. I can pretty much assure
you that you will be going back to get your work visa after the school prepares all the papers. They cannot be handled
by an attorney but only by yourself as it will take your passport and pictures. If i was you i would start the process for
your DOJ report that could take up to 6 weeks to obtain. Get the one for working in China or foreign countries. This is not
done at the federal building go on their web site and it will tell you were and who does this. it is done by electronically
submitting your fingerprints and then the DOJ mails you the report. This report is your complete background from when
you were first put in the registry and from evrywere you lived.You want the one with the raised seal on it not the regular
photo copy one as they probably wont take it.I actually got both of mine and found out the one with the seal is what they want when i got here. the sad thing with all these schools is they are pretty much like the agencies on chnlove  full of crap and the info
changes daily. just prepare yourself for that. also find out when and what hours your classes will be because they do
want you to stay around the school between them. so if your first class is at 9am and the last at 8pm well thats a pretty
long day.Yes there are exceptions to the rule as some guys have found it a little different and will tell you different
but that is and are exceptions to the rule and is probably 5% of the teachers. i see it all the time or i should say often enough
around the embassy area were i hang out with people and you meet people who are going home to finish or are going home
because the school couldnt help them. i was fortunate to get mine when i was here but thats because of someone in the family
who knew someone who knew someone and will probably cost me down the road as i owe 3 favors but it was worth it as i can
stay and not fear getting caught working without it. they just fine you and send you home but you will not get another visa to
come here again if that happens. and to top it off i didnt go to work for a school after it was all done. you know if you tutor 10 hrs a week at 200 rmb
that is 8000 month net. just an idea for you after you arrive here.

as far as living here for 5000 rmb that is really good as your biggest expense  (housing)( utilities) are being covered so
dont kick that gift horse in the mouth. it will depend on what you want to spend for food. i probably spend an extra 1000
rmb a month on food over the average person because i really dont care for nor like all chinese food so i buy quality steaks
and beef and pork that cost a little more for the house and we cook it in the oven i bought for the house. also my wife likes
to bake things in it and the ingredients for that stuff is a little pricy here. i eat about half of all the different chinese foods
that you could buy in GZ and not anything exotic at all. s it is manageable on 5000 rmb. my wife bought a house and lived good
when she was only making 4000 rmb a month and that was only 8 years ago. you could do that with 4000 rmb now but it would be tight
as prices of homes have gone up. now she makes more and lives the same saving everything else