Author Topic: SPORTS !!!  (Read 51177 times)

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
Re: SPORTS !!!
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 12:56:00 am »
Found this in the Globe and Mail today,

Why call it Soccer

"Why call it soccer?" Brian Phillips writes for Slate.com online magazine. "It is an abbreviation of 'association football.' Both soccer and American football come from the same set of precursor sports, which became popular in upperclass English schools in the early 19th century and spread across the Atlantic. ... Ultimately, the version adopted as standard in the United Kingdom came to be known as 'association football,' while another set of rules won out in the United States. Thus the Americans took to calling their gridiron variety 'football,' and referred to the British sport by the slang term 'soccer,' derrived from the 'soc' in 'association.'"

I guess I found some useless trivia. 8)

Dave C
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:58:06 am by Bee964 »
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 05:41:24 am »
Found this in the Globe and Mail today,

Why call it Soccer

"Why call it soccer?" Brian Phillips writes for Slate.com online magazine. "It is an abbreviation of 'association football.' Both soccer and American football come from the same set of precursor sports, which became popular in upperclass English schools in the early 19th century and spread across the Atlantic. ... Ultimately, the version adopted as standard in the United Kingdom came to be known as 'association football,' while another set of rules won out in the United States. Thus the Americans took to calling their gridiron variety 'football,' and referred to the British sport by the slang term 'soccer,' derrived from the 'soc' in 'association.'"

I guess I found some useless trivia. 8)

Dave C

Keep taking the tablets Dave ;D ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 10:20:55 am »
Anyone else annoyed by the noise from those vuvuzelas during the game?

Dave C
Life is like a jar of Jalapenos-- What you eat today will burn your ass tomorrow!.

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 10:48:06 am »
Doesn't bother me - BUT THOSE DAM DRONING BEES - know that does bother me.

BUZZ
OOPS - no bad reference to you Bee964 - just those horns sound like made Hornets - and for the whole game.  :(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:50:53 am by Rhonald »
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Paul Todd

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 10:58:28 am »
I watched the game with my 80 years old mother in law, she hasn't missed a game yet! I asked her about the constant buzzing noise and she told me that was the sound African people made when they where happy!!!  I'm really not sure where that one came from.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 11:22:13 am »
Doesn't bother me - BUT THOSE DAM DRONING BEES - know that does bother me.

BUZZ
OOPS - no bad reference to you Bee964 - just those horns sound like made Hornets - and for the whole game.  :(

But I do tend to drone on and on and on, in some posts. Then I do I think of the Monty Python skitt about trying to get the speaker to stop talking and I shut up.

Dave C
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:58:42 am by Bee964 »

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 11:51:10 am »
 ;D Your killing me with your puns Bee - glad to see a fellow puntificator.

Arnold

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 11:55:27 am »
Outlaw them ... NOOOOOO ! I was going to get for Home , actually two ..one for Qing too .

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
  • Moderators
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2010, 12:02:39 pm »
Careful there Arnold...you are setting yourself up for a pun - if you get them instuments then I can say you Ho..y B....rd  ::)

I do have to admit that the Fatherland did look impressive in their first outing...even without Ballack

Scottish_Rob

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2010, 06:47:10 pm »

I do have to admit that the Fatherland did look impressive in their first outing...even without Ballack

Rhonald

I thought they were MUCH better without him.
One game in and so far they've impressed me

Offline Irishman

• Muireadach and Sunny
    • http://www.chinaromance.net
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 07:50:24 pm »
Anyone watch the Brazil  N Korea game last night?
Some fantastic goals there, really enjoyed the game. I thought at one point N Korea were going to capitulate and go down to a cricket score but they held on and got a great goal of their own. Great game.
Become the change you want today, or all your tomorrows will be like yesterday.

Offline Bee964

• Found someone!
  • Dave & YanLing
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2010, 01:50:16 am »
I take it Brazil won their game?

Dave C

Arnold

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 12:50:35 am »
Very Funny Mike , thank you .. love it .

So tomorrow's Game is at 4:30 am . So what does a good German do , well ... get up of course and watch it . Being German , does NOT allow you to miss any of the National Team games , no matter what time it is . I even have my Vuvuzela ready ( german colours ) and I have warned Qing , I'll blow it each time there is a Goal for the Fatherland ( thanks Rhonald ) . It does take a little practice to come up with a good sound out of it . I'll make sure my Neighbors hear it also .
Then , it's of to work half asleep and watch the US game right after . As if that wasn't enough .. England plays at noon ( Lunch time ) . I guess there wont be much work getting done , but then .. it's Friday .

Ps: As a side note ; it's ok for Germany to stop doing anything at all while a Game is on . So , good thing the US is does not make Soccer their number one Sport or it would halt all 50 States and that is much worse then little ole Germany . haha
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 12:52:21 am by Arnold »

Arnold

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 09:41:17 am »
Pudolski .. Pudolski .. it wasn't his Day and they let him shoot the PK ? Klose should have been taken out with the Yellow , not to risk him missing a Game . Now , it will get excited in that Group . If Australia beats Ghana all will have three points with  Germany the better Goal-difference . Thanks God for that 4:0 win in the first Game , could be the difference at the end .

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2010, 09:58:06 am »
Just finished watch Germany lose to Serbia.  Came in after the game started and the Germans were playing so badly I though for a while I was watching the Americans playing ;D

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,