Author Topic: Qing's arrival and beyond .  (Read 128682 times)

Arnold

Re: Qing's arrival and beyond .
« Reply #705 on: March 26, 2013, 05:32:25 pm »
How wonderful it was!

Last Friday morning started real early for us. The reason for that, was because its the start of our San Francisco trip.
So at 04:00am it was all out of Bed, have some Coffee and head over to Paso Robles to meet a Family member ( my first Wife's Cousin) for Breakfast on our first short stop-over. My LaoPo because she wanted to "Help" with the driving, she took on the first 200 miles (three hours) of the trip. I usually make that distance in 2 3/4 to 3 hours myself, so for my Sweetheart to make it in 3 hours and 15 minutes wasn't bad at all. Thus, we arrived at 08:15 and spend about a good hour with "Minnie&Veronica"  (her daughter) having the much needed Food and more of the Java for the second leg.. Carmel/Monterey.

For Qing it was the second meeting with Minnie, as we had stayed over her House for a night a couple of years ago.. for a shorter outing to Cambria. It was the first time though, for her to meet Qing's Son Tianchi.. which she had pictured to be much smaller/younger for some reason?
Anyway, it was really great meeting up ones more and by 09:30am we were on our way up the Coast on Highway 1.

to be continued.....

Offline kenny

« Reply #706 on: March 26, 2013, 08:20:14 pm »
From what I remember it looks like the boy has grown allot to me too.

Arnold

« Reply #707 on: March 27, 2013, 12:34:03 pm »
The Trip continues...

.... we are now on our second leg and heading up the Coastline towards Carmel, our second stop. Hence our check-in at the Hotel is after 3:00pm, I decided to show Qing/Tianchi Point Lobo's Reserve. This is good for several reasons, one being we get to stretch our legs and we will fill our Eyes with wonderful Scenic beauty.

During this two hour plus drive, I've noticed that Qing was dosing off here and there. I guess, too much of the beautiful Coast makes one tired? Anyway, I made sure she didn't miss anything spectacular where we needed to stop and get out for a closer look. If I remember correctly, we arrived at the Reserve just before 1:00pm with plenty of time to enjoy most of the Hiking Trails they had to offer. We certainly did just that!
I noticed also, there happened to be many Artist's/Painter's on the Paths's everywhere. I think some of their Painting's I would have bought right there on the spot.. even before they were finished.
This is of no surprise, as Carmel is full of Artist's of different kinds.

One thing that stood out, was going down near those Tide-pool's to check if we see any Wild Life. Not too long I ran into a Sea Otter, relaxing on his back.. something I see myself doing on a Coach. "He" or "She" must of just finished eating, because I saw it cleaning it's mouth and then.. rubbing it's eyes.. as to say.. "Time for a Nap now"!

We spend a good two hours, exploring just about all they had to offer.. Wild Life-Flowers-Beaches-Caves-Waves breaking on Rocks and into Blow-holes-to Artist painting how they see it.

to be continued....

Arnold

« Reply #708 on: March 29, 2013, 06:28:21 pm »
Trip continues... Part 3

.... having left Point Lobos and still some time on our hands before checking into the hotel, it was off to Carmel. First finding a place to park is not always easy with all the Tourists coming and going.
Car finally parked (for Free.. wow), we proceeded to walk several streets that looked interesting to inspect up closer. Carmel is full of Galleries with works of many well known (in Calif. at least) Artist's, great Restaurants for any taste and Pub's of course to just sit back.. relax and do some People watching with a cold one.
There are Boutique's by the dozen and Beach homes by the hundreds to drool over.

So this was mostly interesting for Qing and I and not so much for Tianchi, they don't care about Art/ fine Foods/beautiful homes by the Beach. He did find "his" fun part... taking Shoes/Socks off and run into the Ocean Surf. Quickly finding, that the Water must be in the low 50's (if that)... resulting
to return to the wet part of the Beach/Sand only.

I myself love this Area , as I've been here over a dozen times for Anniversaries with my first Wife. This was "Our" little place back then. Carmel/Monterey/Pacific Grove, I know like my backyard and that's because it never seems to change much over all those years... since 1977 when I came here the first time. Some Business' change hands, like the "Hog's Breath Inn" that used to be Clint Eastwood's Pub back in the day.

Now having seen most I wanted Qing/Tianchi to see, it was time to check-in to our Hotel. As a side note, I first thought of staying at the same Hotel I've always stayed at before.. but I decided against it. There are just too any memories (great ones), to put myself through or my LaoPo for that matter. I must also mention, I had a much easier time... then I thought I would coming here again. Of course I remember every Place/Building/Shop/Restaurant/Parks, even the little Liquor Store Nancy always bought her "Screwdriver's" for the night....

...to be continued

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #709 on: March 29, 2013, 10:16:37 pm »
Your bringing back so memories for me as well Arnold.

I took the scenic route on a drive from Vegas to San Fransciso about 15 years back. Monterey was great. Disappointed that I never saw Clint in Carmel.

Thought that I should get out of Palms Spring quickly as the drunken geriatrics driving golf carts along the road was too much!

Even worse than that a car load of drunken youths pulled up along side me and asked if I was a 'Mex'. But they soon moved on when I spoke with my impeccable English accent.  Well they would wouldn't they - all the nasty people in movies are English now!

Then did the whole tourist trip. LA where I watched all the dossers bed down for the night in MacArthur Park.  Each had a line of Shopping trolly's encircled around their patch just like the old time wagon trains.  During the day watched the movies cops chasing the bad guys around the park then at night watched the real cops chase the bad guys around the park.  LA made me really glad to be English but more important being just a visitor.

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Arnold

« Reply #710 on: March 29, 2013, 10:59:18 pm »
Willy, it's funny you mention MacArthur Park here. The time I took Qing and my Neighbor to a KTV in KoreaTown, we passed by that Park. It looked so bad, I told everybody in the car to get down.. til we're passed it. There might be some Bullet's flying at any time.  That's all I (or anybody in my car) need to be shot on Qing's birthday.

Our next Trip will be the Grand Canyon/Sedona Area, maybe this Summer?

Offline Willy The Londoner

• Beyond The Dream in China
  • Board Moderator
  • Hair today - gone tomorrow!!
« Reply #711 on: March 30, 2013, 03:48:16 am »
It was a hairy place at night. I stayed at the Wiltshire Hotel on Wiltshire Boulevard just up from the park and saw many interesting things at night. And occasionally I looked out of the window.

Did two sections of the Grand Canyon and paddled up the Colorado. Walked on the pier but not sure if that was Santa Barbara or Santa Monica.  Seen it on TV a few times since. 

Willy
Willy The Lpndoner

Now in my 12th year living here,

Arnold

« Reply #712 on: April 01, 2013, 05:22:26 pm »
Going North... Part 4.

As the day slowly came to an end and we all were pretty tired.. ready for a good night sleep. After having Dinner at "Bahama's" where I have been before of course, it was back to the Hotel to unwind and be ready for the next day's Trip to San Francisco.

Next morning about 8:30 we had a Breakfast (Free) and everything being packed up, it was off to head for the 101 Fwy north. About half-way to S.F., we stopped in Gilroy (the Capital of Garlic). You can't just bypass this little Town, if you are a lover of Garlic. Not to worry, we loaded up with plenty of Sauces/Spices to last for quite a while.

For the second time we arrived in Frisco a few hours early for our Check-in (I planned it that way), so we hit.. or drove over the Golden Gate Bridge as our first assignment. Thinking back a couple years, when I ones mentioned the Golden Gate Bridge to Qing.. she said; and I quote " What is so special.. it's only a Bridge" and we in Shanghai have many of those?

Haha.. of course she did not know, what made this Bridge so special to the World? Heck, I don't even know why? It is definitely beautiful.. no dought! Anyway, being on the north side.. I try'd to park so we all could get out for some Photo's. As luck would have it, I had to stay in the Car (double parked) and let Qing and Tianchi go out.. enjoy the view and take some nice Pictures. I've been here many times, ones even making it a "one day" turn around from Los Angeles.. when I was younger of course and single still.

That being done, I wanted to go and stop now on the south side. But, having traffic problems and it was almost 3:00pm, it was time to check-in ones more. Hence the Holiday Inn is right on the Fisherman's Wharf and near Lombard St. (where the Crookedest Road in the World is), we headed that way. I must tell you, the closer we got the steeper (going uphill) they become. It looked like 45 degree, but of course it was less! Hanging on the hill, it was one car at a time moving forward to the top. That might be fun for the People in the car, but your poor car I'm sure it's NOT!

Finally it is our turn to head "Down" this famous road, which takes about two (2) minutes. Just like an Amusement Park Ride, wait 45 min. and it's over with the blink of the eye.

to be continued....

Arnold

« Reply #713 on: July 31, 2013, 01:26:12 pm »
Well I guess, some of you already know (the ones reading my Blog anyway) that Qing and I plus Son had a trip to Arizona for the long 4th July weekend.

Anyhow, thought to bring this Thread up to par/date ones more with a few Photo's of mentioned outting!

Arnold

« Reply #714 on: July 31, 2013, 01:33:50 pm »
some from Sedona and Pink Jeep tour.

Arnold

« Reply #715 on: July 31, 2013, 01:39:02 pm »
... from Skywalk (western part of Grand Canyon).

Arnold

« Reply #716 on: July 31, 2013, 01:42:57 pm »
... over Hoover Dam to Vegas.

Offline shaun

« Reply #717 on: July 31, 2013, 03:11:34 pm »
Nice pictures but where is the pink jeep?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 04:49:37 pm by Arnold »

Offline Rhonald

• Ziyan Zhou (Yan)
« Reply #718 on: July 31, 2013, 07:44:55 pm »
I see in the picture where she is hanging one handed off the cliff that the cliff face must be magnetic, thus the direction of her chain. Great pictures and great daring do. I always knew your wife was a secret agent - Secret Agent... but on Whose side?

Browny point for that movie reference anyone?  8) 8)
Life....It's all about finding the Chicks and Balances

Arnold

« Reply #719 on: July 31, 2013, 09:30:06 pm »
I see in the picture where she is hanging one handed off the cliff that the cliff face must be magnetic, thus the direction of her chain. Great pictures and great daring do. I always knew your wife was a secret agent - Secret Agent... but on Whose side?

Browny point for that movie reference anyone?  8) 8)

Rhonald, actually the Necklace is what kept her from falling.. til' I came to the rescue (well try'd to). It is a secret gadget to holds you to Stone/Metal/Wood/Plastic, so she'll never will fall anywhere.. from any height. Her Watch has a rope with a little but strong hook at the end and she almost hit me with it.
Ps: as one can see, her Chain made even the Tree's below push away from her. Even the date on the Photo was pushed to the side. I don't know where she got that from, but it also keeps me in Bed or close to her when she want to. In other words, I can not escape this woman.